Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Please help with Ene's Scarf!

I've just gotten Scarf Style and my yarn from Knitpicks and am already stuck. Here are a few questions:

  1. I've cast on my 375 stitches, so do I begin row 1 on Chart 1, right half and work through row 1 on Chart 1, left half before moving on to row 2?
  2. I'm confused about where to put stitch markers. I'm assuming I put one where there are green lines (after stitch 4 on row 1 for example). Do I also put them wherever there are red lines? Like, when doing row 1, do I put one right before the 11 repeated stitches and again after and then again after each repeat? There would be a lot of stitch markers in row 1 then, right?
  3. What do I do where there is a gray box indicating "no stitch?" How do I not stitch...do I just slip that stitch? I'm totally confused!

Thank you so much for any help! I'm really excited about this scarf. I'm knitting it for my grandma.

Jodi

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    You did a good job of explaining it Jen. Another way of saying it is that there simply is no stitch there anymore and you just move on to the next one.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    OH! So, because I k2tog right before that, there is no more stitch...duh. Thanks!

    Now, I hope someone can help me with my other 2 questions. :)

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Thank you so much, Lori!! I think I've got it, now!

    The reason I asked about the stitch markers at the red lines is because there is a post in November that shows a picture of Ene's Scarf after the first chart is done and she has a lot of stitch markers on it. I saw another one like this that was only about 1/2 into the 1st chart, so I thought I had to put a bunch of stitch markers somewhere.

    I will only put them at the green markers, then. Then, it won't be so confusing. Thank you for your AWESOME post!!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Thank you Mary! You have been a HUGE help! I'm so glad that there is a KAL or I'd be totally lost! It's my first time knitting lace as well, so we'll see. Thank you!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Hi Jodi,
    I think the Ene you saw in November was mine. I did use stitch markers between each repeat on chart one. Like Lori said, I did have to keep repositioning them, but after trying to knit this twice before with markers only at the edges and in the middle, and then having to frog 375 stitches...I decided it was worth the tedium to move the stitches when I needed it. It did not happen on each row, only where the repeat began with a double decrease.
    Do what works for you, and take it slow and steady :-)

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Chicago Jen said…

    I say AMEN to what Kim said!! i started three times and until I put stitich markers between EACH pattern repeat in the edging, I had to rip and restart or frog 375 stitches. My advice? Go slow and steady and whether you use markers or not, COUNT that there are 14 sts between each sl1-k2tog-psso. I did great with all the markers but once I got to the second chart, with all the yo,k2tog I've lost a few sts. No I have to go back and rip the entire row b/c I had to take out my markers. grrrr.... long and short of it? Go slow, read your knitting, read your chart and compare often! Happy Lacing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home