Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Twist and Shout! Twisty Turns Complete!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for awhile, and everyone's projects look
knit-tastic! Here is a finished twisty-turns, which I have to tell you, I contorted myself into so many positions to get it sewn together, I needed a rubtown and a hottub afterwards! The knitting itself was simple - it's just an 8 foot long ribbed strip, but when I went to sew the "decorative" seams together (let me just say this, decorative went out the window - there was nothing arty about my bunched up seams), I really felt like I had to go back to a remedial home economics class:
First, I laid it out flat (with a little help from my pooch Dexter):
Then, I brought point "A" around to point "D". D is the midway point of the strip, so about 4 ft in:
Then, I sewed the first seam A/D to B/C. As you can see from the picture above, one side of the seam is much longer than the other side. I just winged it (twice), and I think it turned out ok:

Then, I brought the other end of the strip (D/G), around the back:

And then, I pulled G through the whole made by bringing B/C together:

Then, I pinned E to F:

And sewed the second seam. It's hard to see in this picture, but you basically sew the black line to the redline:

And we know have, a completed pretzel!


The yarn is my favorite, Noro, in their new Silver Thaw, number 60-something, I can't remember. Because it's an angora blend, to get on gauge, I had to wet my swatch, and let the angora fluff up. So, in the end, I used three skeins, knit on 8's, and voila!


Let me tell ya, I worked up a sweat! I used muscles I never knew I had! Silver Thaw complete! And, for my next trick, Ene I think, but I'm not quite sure. I also have a completed Lady Eleanor, and I'll post a pic soon!

Happy Knitting everyone!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Beautiful. Love how your yarn worked up!

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! When I get my copy of the book, I'll have to try it.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger ruthee... said…

    I am working on the same piece...but wow, your Noro colour choice is fabulous. I am impressed that the striping on the Noro did not distract from the knot in the front!

    It almost makes me want to do one in a Kureyon that I have...hmmmm...

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    That really looks great! And thanks for the photos...I'm planning to knit one of these and I'll definitely refer to your photos when I put it together!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger scarlet said…

    STUNNING! Thanks for taking the time to post detailed documentation of the process, it will make it less scary for those of us considering this project.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger lynnm said…

    I knit this for the holidays and had the same issues when it came to sewing it together. I had to redo it twice and definetly felt it in the neck afterwards. Congrats on finishing! It looks wonderful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home