Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Backyard Leaves progress; a Misty Garden snarl

Hi -- I'm new to this knitalong but figured I'd join now that I have Wrap Style too and the list of scarves/wraps I want to knit from these books grows... as well as the stash that I have earmarked for these projects...

It's taken me months, literally, to get in a groove with Backyard Leaves. The only lace knitting I'd done before was Branching Out from Knitty, a simple pattern. I've found that with Backyard Leaves, my most common mistake is to have the yarn on the wrong side when slipping stitches, but I seem to have gotten that under control.

I am using Karabella aurora 8 in color 716, and I love it! It is soft and gorgeous, and the yarn has very subtle streaks in the separate plies that are darker or lighter green. The yarn does look quite chlorophylly, and I think this is going to be my favorite scarf so far...

My problem child is Misty Garden, which I have frogged at least 6 times, not an easy task with mohair. I am using the Jo Sharp Rare Comfort Infusion Kid Mohair in color 618.

The problem I'm having is that one of the two lovely lines amid the lace holes keeps heading off in weird directions. Not sure how this has happened, but it seems to happen less frequently now that I'm using straight needles rather than circular -- I think it's just easier to look at your progress with the straight needles. Also, I bought some needles with somewhat sharper points, to facilitate the K2tog, which seem difficult with this yarn. Any suggestions?

More on my knitting adventures at my blog, Knitting in the Great Basin.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Minnie said…

    I've had the same issues with my Misty Garden. I am also usuing circular needles, but the lace isn't going in weird directions. I had problems with k2tog though when I was using size 8 needles--I switched to my size 7 circulars which had pointier ends.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yes, alas, I've decided to give up on Misty Garden, as it's just not a pleasure not knit. Not sure what I'm going to do with the mohair yarn, though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home