Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, February 13, 2006

Ripping Spiral Lace Capelet



This was a trying weekend. Just as I finished up my Spiral Lace Capelet that I've been proudly slaving over for the past coupla months, I try it on and BANG, it's too BIG. Enormous!! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG. It's too big to fix, since it's knit in a tube and if I were to correct it and make it smaller, I'd have to start from the beginning and cast on far fewer stiches. Phooey. I am going to rip this one and use the yarn for something else! A different pattern from the Interweave Press SCARF STYLE book. Another knitter made one in pink, a Turtleneck Shrug by Teva Durham. This woman did a terrific job of inspiring me. Wish me luck!

~Anne

3 Comments:

  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger annie said…

    I sympathize! Can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. Makes scarf knitting look really good. Do you have any plus-sized friends or relatives who would be thrilled to own it? It is beautiful.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    This project might still be saved!

    Try it on again, and pinch out how many stitches you'd need to remove from the neck edge to get the fit you want. Write down how many stitches would be in your personal "ideal" edging.

    Then, rip out only the ribbing and the first couple of inches of the pattern. Re-knit the pattern rows using a needle one or two sizes smaller.

    In the first row of neck edging, decrease to your custom number of stitches, and work the last few rows.

    Of course, if the yarn is now telling you that it wants to be something else anyway, then you should by all means listen to the yarn. :-)

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Pauline said…

    I hear you! I knitted for 2 weeks, became worried about the width as I neard the bind-off row, and was majorly frustrated (like yourself) to find it to large to rest on my shoulders. I was DETERMINED to complete it by Christmas, so the weekend before I knitted 3 straight days (I was on vacation from work) and it was done. I eliminated 2 spiral repeats (24 stitches as I vaugely recall) and dropped down a needle size. Love the results. Hope you consider trying it again. It is a very nice pattern and a pleasant knitting experience.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home