Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ene's Scarf - NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!

Hey guys..I'm starting my first lace project (besides Branching Out)...and I spent hours last night casting on all 375 stitches (wow!).

It's also my first real exposure to using a chart.

Now I'm stuck...scary, huh?

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. The grey areas of the chart are indicated as "no stich". What do I do with this? Do I just ignore the square and move on to the next one where there is actually a stitch direction?

2. What direction to I read the chart?
Do I:

---> Start with Chart 1 Right Half on the right side of the chart (line 1)...go to the end...then start of on the right side of line 1 on Chart 1 Left Half?

---> Then for the next row, do the same thing, except this time start with "Chart 1 Left Half" and move from left to right, ending with the "Chart 1 Right Half" (instead of right to left)?

Hope someone can help! I'm anxious to start!!

Thanks in advance!!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Just ignore the grey areas of the chart. They're only there to make the chart be the right shape; they don't actually represent any real stitches. When you come to a grey block on the chart, just ignore it and do the next regular stitch. It may be a bit hard to understand at first, but once you actually do it, you'll see!

    As the chart itself, I can't help because I don't have my copy of the book with me.

    Good luck! :)

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Terri Lynn said…

    Yes, it is my understanding you follow the even rows from left to right paying careful attention to the legend for what is to be purled and knitted on the WS(wrong side). Can't wait to see it, I am doing one in a lime merino and have casted on twice, giving up last summer. I will settle into it after the holidays.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    Those grey squares mixed me up too! It wasn't until the second row when I realized that they were actually nothing. I hope your Ene goes well! I'm actually on my second one, this time it's a Christmas gift for my mom. Hope you love yours!

     
  • At 3:27 AM, Blogger Cristina said…

    thanks guys!! this really cleared it up for me. the only thing now..is that i keep ending up with a couple of extra stitches and my border is off a bit...no worries though...it might just be a tv-watching-mis-counting error! thanks again.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger BroccoliEater said…

    The secrets to my Ene success were:

    A bunch of rubber ring markers. They're not sparkly fun markers, but you can pull stitches over them when doing passovers.

    Don't treat purl rows as mindless breaks. When you purl back across, be counting the pattern stitches, so if you find you forgot a YO you can make it from the back and move on.

    I also, for me, kept a sheet of paper. WIth every new pattern row, I'd write down the sequence of the repeat: K K K YO K2T K K

     

Post a Comment

<< Home