Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, December 08, 2006

Newbie


Thank you very much for accepting my application for this knitalong. My alias is Jinx, my real name is Anne, and I live in Hamburg, Germany (that means that English is not my mother's tongue, sorry for all the mistakes I will make...). Scarf Style was one of the first books about knitting I bought and I was stunned by the multitude of possibilities displayed in this book to knit something simple as a scarf. I decided to knit at least six (if not more) of the patterns, and I completed three of them by now. For unterstanding this enthusiasm one has to know that German books and magazines about knitting suggest to the interested reader that knitting must be the most boring thing in the world. When I started to knit again appr. nine months ago I decided quickly to get my inspiration from English publications which are far more interesting.
The first scarf I did from our highly cherished book was the "Interlocking Balloon" pattern which I chose when my mother asked for a scarf as a christmas present. This decision made me sort of a daredevil, since I am not a very experienced knitter so far. And the pattern gave me a really hard time at the beginning: I had to redo it three times. First, I did not like the material. The second attempt showed some severe mistakes I made AND I found out the new material was not suitable for displaying the pattern as it was meant to be (it felt stiff and sort of planky). So I chose a soft alpaca yarn and worked myself through the instruction again - and succeeded after all. The result can be seen above.
Encouraged by this success I knit the "Stripes and Bobbles" scarf which I finished as well. I like the way it looks very much, but for me it was absolutely no fun to knit. But I got through it after all.
The third scarf I chose from the book is "Braides Mischief", and this was really fun to knit for me: quick, easy, and rather mindless. At the moment this is my favorite scarf to wear (if it will become cold, after all, up here it's that warm at the moment that I ask myself why I'm knitting scarves galore).

Since I do not want to flood this blog with pictures in one post, here are the links to my blog (don't worry, it's bilingual):
Stripes and Bobbles
Braided Mischief
Interlocking Balloons

The next project will be the "Colour on Colour" scarf, but it will just take some more time for me to start this (too many WIP's at the moment).

4 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Very nice! And your English is better than that of many native speakers....

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    Your knitting is fantastic! I admire your courage and am glad that you have decided to try these projects. You definitely have the right attitude.

    I am working on the color on color scarf right now and have to say it is fun. I hear that there are kits out there so that you don't have to worry about picking out all that yarn. Don't be afraid of that scarf. It is really very simple. As the staff at my local yarn shop say: "just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine."

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger Jinx said…

    Thank you very much for your very nice and encouraging comments. :)

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Bufanditas said…

    Your projects look great

     

Post a Comment

<< Home