Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Misty Garden in Fiesta La Boheme Starbust

This is my first time posting to this blog. I'm so excited. I've been lurking for so long and I finally finished something from this book. Here are some pictures and project information.



Pattern Book: Scarf Style
Pattern: Misty Garden

The original pattern calls for Jo Sharp Rare Comfort Kid Mohair Infusion.

Yarn Brand: Fiesta
Yarn Name: La Boheme Starbust
Yarn Colorway: 2210 -Caribbean
Yarn Content: 2-strand yarn (A. 64% Brushed Kid Mohair, 28% Wool, 8% Nylon) (B. 100% Rayon)
Amount of yarn used: 2 balls (1 ball = 165 yards)
Yarn Cost: $32/hank
Yarn Source: Nancy's Knits, Houston, TX

Needle: Size 9 US 24" (INOX)

Dimensions: 7 inches wide and 75 inches long (after blocking)



Project Notes:
This yarn is just so pretty that I find it hard to bitch about it. But it does act strangely though. This is a 2 stranded yarn, each with different stretch. One strand is 100% rayon and the other strand is some mohair blend. As you knit, the mohair yarn starts to stretch and it gets longer and longer until it's noticeably longer than the rayon strand.

So what? Shouldn't effect the knitting. True, but if you're picky like me, different story. The strands were dyed together and as one yarn becomes longer than the other, your color sections start to shift and colors don't match up.

I tried to ignore it at first and it still gave a nice effect. Then I could stand it anymore and started to match the colors up every so often. I would just fold the "extra length" and hold it with the yarn and knit with it. I know, that last sentence didn't really make sense, but I don't know how to explain it in words. If someone really reads this and really wants to know what I did, feel free to e-mail me.

http://boiknit.blogspot.com/

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger The Little (Knitting) Hedgehog said…

    I love La Boheme. Easily tangled uneven mess that it can be. I just love it. I admit part of it might be a strong sense of loyalty to a local company. But I've never knit anything with it that didn't turn out beautifully.

    That scarf is gorgeous in it! I've used that colorway before with just the boucle but the mohair really adds an extra dimension to it!

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Anne Elser said…

    Kenny- the picture of your sweet dog wrapped in the scarf makes me smile. I take my Papillon, Bjorn, to work with me everyday and find that if I wrap one of my scarves around him, he'll fall right to sleep. Such a baby.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger GrannyHart said…

    Newbie Knitaholic - found great summer sweater @ greatballsofyarn.com, to make for an internet friend - checked out this fabulous yarn, WOW, price threw me - already starving me and my cats with my obsession - but I did find LaBoheme for $23.95 at Yarnzilla, thought you might be interested - Wonderful scarf btw!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home