Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ene Knitters

Hello one and all! Happy Holidays!

I have a question for those of you who have knit the lovely Ene.
What yarn did you use, do you recommend any certain yarn that would create the greatest Ene ever? I ask this question because for Christmas my wonderful husband and I will be going on vacation and during our vacation we will be on a yarn crawl the entire time (sounds heavenly, doesn't it?!) and Ene is one of the projects for which I would like to purchase yarn. I, of course, have the Blackberry Ridge as recommended in the book as a possibility, but have no idea if I will run across it during our travels. And, truthfully, I would be tickled if some of you had used a yarn that was a bit heavier and loved it (lace wt yarn and I are trying to have a better relationship; this is, afterall, one of my 2007 resolutions, but, if I were to choose our [lace wt and I] relationship builder, it would be something smaller, such as a scarf), but if lace wt it is to be for the perfect Ene, so be it.

Any and all of your suggestions and recommendations are highly appreciated!

Happy Holidays and Knitting!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I've actually made this pattern twice, I love it so much. The first time I used Kid Silk from Fleece Artist. It took over 2 hanks, and is a bit heavier than laceweight. I love it (though it shed and is *slighty* scratchy). Learning from the scratchiness, the second Ene I've made is with Fleece Artist Merino Sock yarn. Of course that's a bit lighter, but very soft, and lends itself to a delicate scarf like this one. Good luck on your yarn crawl, lucky you!

     
  • At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have made the pattern once, with Koigu KPPPM. It was great fun to use and I love the result. I am happy to hear someone used Schaefer Anne with success since I just had a retail attack yesterday and ordered 2 skeins each of two beautiful colors from Little Knits yesterday. One may be Eunny Jang's Print O' the Waves (I have to get really psyched to try all of the techniques) but one will almost certainly be another Ene. I loved knitting it -- once I got past the cast on. Don't know why but it always takes me a couple of tries to get it going properly.
    The Koigu really holds its shape and it blocked out beautifully.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger BroccoliEater said…

    I made this out of a handspun 2-ply mohair that I bought years ago at a fiber festival in northern Missouri. I'd long since lost the tag on the skein so I can't say with certainly if its 100% mohair or a blend, or who made it.

    IT was certainly heavier than laceweight, and the hairiness of it gives it a softness that made me decide not to block it.

    I had a huge skein of a greenish blend, and a natural cream skein, and I used first one, then the other. I'ts about 5 feet long across the long top edge, so its a shawl, not a scarf. But I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

    Picture at:
    http://www.deathstar.org/~svanlooy/coppermine/albums/wpw-20060511/IMG_3886.jpg

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Tipper said…

    The Blackberry Ridge yarn is more fingering weight than laceweight; it's not really thing at all. It's unlikely that you'll run across it, as I don't think they wholesale to retail outlets. I've only seen it sold directly from the Blackberry Ridge people.

    From the rest of the comments, it sounds like some sort of handpainted sock yarn would be a fantastic choice.

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger knitbysue said…

    I haven't made Ene yet but if I was going to I would consider Zephyr yarn as my lace-weight choice. It is a wool/silk blend and I've an other shawl with it and loved it. It is a solid yarn which shows off lace-work to its maximum. Not too expensive and lots of colors to choose from.
    If you want to go with something heavier of course there is lots of sock yarn to choose from. In your yarn crawl keep a look out for Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn. There are colorways that are solid or almost solid that would make a great shawl. Shepard Sock is a very soft yarn and a shawl made from it would be soft and cuddly. I have a stash of it in blackberry colorway waiting to be turned into a shawl.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home