Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Turtleneck Shrug

Scarf Style Turtleneck Shrug

It's done! I added little thumbholes to it, and stripes. I don't have a pattern notes or anything for the thumbholes, really I just stuck a yarn over, knit two together in there for the thumb. If I were to do it again I would probably make the thumb hole bigger somehow.

ScarfStyle Turtleneck Shrug

Any suggestions on a neater way of doing a thumbhole? Is there a pattern anywhere for free on the net that I could copy the thumbhole design from?

I think I'd make this turtleneck shrug again. I like the pattern. It's a unique looking thing. I used Luxury Collection Baby Silk and 4.5mm needles. The yarn is OOoooh so soft, and it has a shine to it.

The Silent K

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger The Silent K said…

    It took me awhile becuase I got lazy. A few months. I'm a lazy knitter like that.

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said…

    It looks great. I love the greens.

    Thumb holes are like big button holes, right? I found the different styles on the about.com knitting section useful when making knitted gauntlets.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger indigo warrior said…

    I like the innovation with the thumbholes. To make bigger ones you would just cast off a number of stitches, and then on the next round, cast them back on using the backward loop method. Ta-da! A tidy hole for your thumbs!

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Anne Elser said…

    Krista,

    Your thmbholes are awesome as well as those stripes. You look darling in that shrug. Bravo!

    ~Anne

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger The Silent K said…

    Ah, you are all so smart. I totally should have just cast off a couple of stitches. It would have been a much cleaner thumbhole. Ah- oh well. Next time.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    I love your colour choice. It really suits you too.
    Another alternative for your thumbs would be to work straight back and forth for a few rows before working in the round. Then at the end sew up the straight bits, leaving a hole of the desired size.
    You'd have to think about the position of the hole in advance.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger mllnclly79 said…

    to make a bigger thumbhole, you could look in just about any "ow to" knitting book and look at the different ways to make button holes. You could try what I've seen used for mittens which is knitting with waste yarn then going back later and taking it out, you could probably bind off from there, but you will have active stitches on the top & bottom.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I love your alterations on the project. That's beautiful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home