Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, February 06, 2006

Lady Eleanor

Hello! This is my first post, other than a few comments on other posts. I finished my Lady Eleanor before Thanksgiving, then had to figure out how (or if) I wanted to do the fringe. I did do the row of single crochet along the ends, with a large (K?) crochet hook.


Yarn: Noro Silk Garden #211, 11 skeins (10 for knitting, most of another for fringe)

Needles: US 8

I thought I was going to have to cast on more stitches than in the pattern, since I was using smaller yarn & needles, but it seemed too wide, so I started again with the same number of stitches as the pattern indicates. I did 47 rows of diamonds, and this thing is very long! I was able to block it to the width specified in the pattern (23") and it is 82" long (not counting the fringe). Looks like 39 rows of diamonds would have gotten me close to the 70" length of the one in the pattern, and would have used less yarn -- maybe 8 plus some of a 9th one for knitting, with enough left of that 9th one for fringe. I didn't care for the fringe as shown in the book, so I modified it -- I cut my yarn in 30" lengths (I think... I've slept a few times since then) and put one piece of fringe in each single crochet, then gathered them in groups of 8 (4 doubled strands) and knotted them, then did a second row of knots using 4 strands from one knot and 4 from the knot next to it, all the way across.

Anyhow, this was my first entrelac, and very entertaining!

Julie

http://ozarkknitting.blogspot.com/

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Fríða said…

    WOW, wonderful colours! A beautiful piece of work.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger WandaWoman said…

    That is very beautiful. I'm very impressed. I like your fringe better than what the pattern calls for too. great job!

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ang said…

    Absolutely gorgeous!

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    i love it! it's beautiful!

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Looks beautiful!

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Cristina said…

    this looks great. my lady eleanor looks similar b/c of color...and i wasnt sure about the fringe, but now after seeing yours, i think i might add some to mine!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    You did a great job! I like yours better than the one in the book!

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger PutYourFlareOn said…

    Thanks for your comment on my Lady E. Yours is beautiful! I'm glad that you didn't frog it! Did you block it? It looks pretty flat. I don't think that I will block mine, I like how it's bumpy, gives Lady E a lot of character. I love the fringe on yours, I might try to imitate what you've done there. We'll see when I get there! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home