Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Checking in with a backyard leaves...

Hello everyone! I am a relatively new knitter (learned less than a year ago). I gravitate towards scarves b/c of the instant (almost) gratification. I love choosing a pattern, some yummy yarn, and seeing what the combination creates. Intro to my scarfstyle experience and the backyard leaves scarf.

My first attempt at chart knitting. Probably not the best idea I've ever had, but it seemed to work out fine (after five starts and rips). I am up to my sixth repeat of the pattern, but made the HUGE mistake of knitting and chatting simultaneously. Uh. Then, I tried TINKing. Uh-Oh.
Now I'm stuck. I want to try frogging, but am SO scared to rip a few rows out b/c I'm not sure I'll be able to put it back on the needles the way it should go... any advice? I was thinking to take it to a friendly LYS for help...

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    How much do you need to rip out? I've been able to take mine off the needles (more than a few times) and rip back without too much trouble. The hardest part is not losing any yarn overs and figuring out what row you're on. Thankfully the pattern is unique on each row of the pattern repeat so a little counting and chart consultation makes it manageable.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger knitbysue said…

    I just finished Backyard Leaves and I was also new to chart reading. Can you use the chart to unknit stitch by stitch until you've unknit past your big mistake? If not then maybe your idea of help from your LYS is a good one. I know I wouldn't have been able to rip a few rows and then get the needle back through all the stitches correctly.
    Once you recover here is a great tip: To make ripping easier I used a floss threader to thread dental floss through the live stitches after every fifth row. Then I continued to knit. If I made a big mistake that made me rip then I ripped back to the dental floss row and threaded my needles back through every stitch the dental floss went through. Later in the scarf I gained confidence and did a dental floss row every 10 rows.
    And here is post-recovery another tip: Count your stitches after EVERY row and compare to the chart. If you have the wrong number of stitches on the needle then most likely your mistake is in that row and you can follow the chart backwards to unknit the row until you get to your mistake. Note that some rows will have a different number of stitches than the number of squares in the chart's corresponding row. For example row 10 has 31 squares in the chart but after knitting row 10 you should have 33 stitches on your needle.
    Good luck and let us know how you recovered. Sue

     

Post a Comment

<< Home