Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Ruffles and Color on Color

I couldn't believe no one had started Color on Color until now! That's why I bought the book in the first place... I can't wait to pair it with some cute jeans like it shows in the picture. I did however start doing ruffles too... but only because I read this blog and the thought of buying 50 different colors of yarn for Color on Color was a bit daunting at the time. I'm about half way through ruffles using just a plain old cotton and it's turning out really well. I used a Oatmeal sort of shade similar to the one in the book, because it looks so elegant in that color. As for the color on color scarf, you will all be glad to know that the yarn for this is very cheap. In fact I think they're using emroidery thread, and it only costs about a $1.00 per skien. I priced it out to about $100 dollars for the whole thing (plus all the round needles it asks for). Not too bad for something very unique. I am headed out to buy the yarn today. I can't wait to get started! Ruffles looks good, but is very tedious...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Please let us know what you think of the colors when you get them all purchased! I have heard several other people who started the scarf say they are disappointed with how washed out it seems given how vibrant it appears in the book.

    I was going to purchase yarn to start it from my local needlework shop last weekend, but they only had about half the needed colors, and I will admit they were fairly dull compated to what I was expecting. I assumed all the brigh colors were the ones missing.

    I do think the colors in Scarf Style have been mainipulated in several cases. I'm presently making the Campus scarf and in the pictures the light green and the gray are quite different. In reality, in all but the stongest light they are quite similar, the green is nowhere near the celery color shown in the book. It is that contraset that makes the scarf attractive. I think mine is kind of ugly and am trying to decide whether or not to continue.

    I wonder if the same kind of "color enhancement" was done in the Color on Color pictures? If that is the case, I'm thinking of doing my own color scheme instead.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Tipper said…

    I noticed the color difference of the Campus Scarf, too, but I decided I liked it better in real life! :) I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I heard that the photographer for the book wasn't a knitter (thus the artsiness rather than a focus on showing us the stitches, etc.); maybe when the photos were tweaked, she went for the best-looking pictures rather than the most true-to-color pictures.

    Although, I've never really met a yarn that looks the same in any picture as it does in person, whether the picture is in a book, magazine, or on the web.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger runny_yolk said…

    I agree... the pictures are rather useless. They look nice and are styled very artistically, but I would've liked it if they had shown the actual patterns a little better... as for the colors... you could go with a brighter version of the one they suggest. There are so many colors that it would probably work very well. However, there are two blues for example that are just slightly different from one another which might confuse things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home