Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Vintage Velvet, Finis

However many months, seven skeins, and 515 rows later, FINALLY, finally I finished the vintage velvet. There are some spots where the worming is pretty bad, but at least they look like tiny little lumps. I may try washing it again in hot, or even boiling, water. But the touch, my friends, the feel of that oh-so-soft chenille, that longs to be worn against the skin.


This picture was taken before washing. It looks quite nice as is, and I share everyone's fear of what the washing will do to it.




This was taken after the washing process. Yes, it looks like a drowned rat, and yes, I thought I'd ruined it. I could barely bring myself to take the pictures, and quickly threw it into the dryer.


These were taken after it came out of the dryer - not completely dry - and the results were astonishing. The beauty, the drape, the hand, I can't stop raving. And it felted enough that my few, um, minor, mistakes aren't really visible. Wow. Wow. I do wish I had waited until I had more experience under my belt before attempting this scarf - the yarn deserved better. But I can't regret it, too much, this is just amazing! I'll try for better pictures in the morning, I can't get quite enough light.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    Super soft looking! Good job! I would definitely not wash it in boiling water, though...I don't think anything good could come of that.
    I would love to make that scarf!

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gorgeous! Even though you feel your skill cheats the yarn, you did a great job - after all, this is a snapshot of YOU, where you are right now. That's a gift, actually, not a cheat.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger knitwhit said…

    Thank you both! If I make it again, I'll choose a slightly lighter color yarn. I didn't wash it in boiling water, but I did run it thru the hot wash again. It didn't felt anymore, but the color become more "vintage-like" and I like it even more. And lol, yes it certainly is a snap-shot of where I am now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home