Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Backyard Leaves gone awry

I've been working on Backyard Leaves (in Karabella Aurora 8), since last winter. It's been a great experience as I progressed from my start as a fairly novice lace knitter who didn't have the foggiest idea what the hell the chart meant to a fairly confident knitter, zipping through those springy leaves. Finally, it was done, and I laid it out in the back patio with pet quail Fiver for scale before blocking it and sewing the two halves together.

This is where the major bummer comes in, because when I went to sew the two halves together, one cast-on had been quite tight, and the other was quite loose, so the seam came out very funky. Then, I tried the thing on and it is LONG! At this point, the thing seems more likely to choke me to death with its long heaviness than to cradle my neck in leafy softness, which is what I was hoping for.

I've had knitted objects come out unsatisfactorily before, but this one really bums me out because it's the ultimate pattern and the ultimate yarn, the FO that I couldn't wait to lay my eyes on. Once I get over my disappointment, I'm just going to rip it a little from both ends and redo the couple of rows around that join and take out a repeat or two at each and, then then maybe Backyard Leaves and I can fall in love like we were meant to.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Helen said…

    I wouldn't do anything drastic yet. There's always a gap between what you were expecting to knit and what you find you have knitted, and sometimes it just takes a little while to adjust. Could you block it again and make it a little wider and shorter? Or wrap it round your next twice? Or pretend it's a wrap? I love the quail, by the way.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Ooh, I fear I'm going to have the opposite problem with my Backyard Leaves! I'd leave it long, you can always wrap it around your neck twice...personally I prefer long scarves, and I think your's looks great

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Nora said…

    The same thing happened to me! I, too, love the pattern... but there's something about the way it just 'hangs' at the front - the pointy bits remind me of a tie. My 1st BYLs was 2.5m long - I ended up giving it to a friend. The 2nd was considerably shorter - only 2 balls of Aurora 8! I gave it to mum. I'm about to start my 3rd.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home