Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Here and There braid question

Dear all,

Thanks for a wonderful blog. I received the book as a gift at Christmas and have had great fun with it. I've enjoyed reading all the comments and seeing everyone's work here, too.

Here's my question: I plan on making the here and there braid scarf with some hand-dyed alpaca. It is a multicolored yarn. The yarn instructions suggest to alternate skeins every 2 to 4 rows to prevent color pooling (did I use that term correctly?).

I really don't want to do that because then I would be faced with all those loose ends but wonder how it will turn out. Any thoughts? suggestions? experiences?

Thanks much!

Susan H.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger funkyknits said…

    If you alternate every 2-4 rows, you could probably just carry the yarn up the sides.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Helen said…

    I wouldn't worry about it on a scarf, unless you can actually see a vast difference between the skeins, and even then, would it matter? On a sweater you want to have an even effect so that they eye isn't drawn to the changes, but you wear a scarf folded and wrapped around itself so that can't happen. I think the effect of slightly different shades would be less of a problem than possible bumps up the side. Good luck :)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger annie said…

    If you do alternate, I would definitely change every two rows and just carry the yarn up the sides. Every two means you end up back on the same side, and the two rows aren't far enough apart to not be able to carry. But I don't think I'd bother either unless you think it will bother you. I find it annoying to do as it interrupts the flow a bit and means dealing with two skeins. Either way will be beautiful.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Susan Holland said…

    Thanks all. It's decided---I'm just gonna knit it and see what happens. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home