Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, April 03, 2006

Backyard Leaves - Malabrigo Yarn?

I love malabrigo/handpainted yarn as it is SO soft and I just placed an order for some in a beautiful green color. I'd love to make Backyard Leaves with it but would like some opinions from you fiber experts about whether that is a good substitution for Karabella Aurora 8 or not. Does anyone foresee any difficulties for using a soft merino wool instead of a merino blend?

Thanks!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger knitbysue said…

    Some people new to lace knitting find themselves ripping out some rows of Backyard Leaves until they get the hang of it. I wouldn't think Malabrigo would hold up to much ripping out since it is a single-ply. Also, is your Malabrigo varigated colors? If so then the 'leaves' in the pattern won't show up very much. A solid or near-solid yarn is the best for this scarf. So if your Malabrigo is nearly solid and if you are comfortable with the pattern then I think the Backyard Leaves would look great in Malabrigo. I'm a sucker fo r soft yarn next to my skin.

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    Also, the Aurora 8 is machine washable, where Malabrigo is highly feltable. Sometimes it felts as you knit making frogging a little more difficult. I love love love Malabrigo yarn - but the Aurora might be better for a lace project - of course - what do I know? I haven't tried it with the Malabrigo yet so it may be a pleasent surprise. I'd like to know how it turns out.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger amber said…

    I started the backyard leaves in cream Malabrigo merino and have been doing just fine with it. But I agree that if the yarn is verigated heavily the pattern may get a little lost. But give it a try and see how you like the way it looks. This yarn does get a little pilly (soft single ply... not too surprising). But I don't care as it's so great to wear around your neck... soft as a baby bunny.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Malabrigo online so I'll have to wait until I receive it to determine if it is too varigated. Then I guess I'll just give it a try and see if I like how it looks. I'll practice the pattern on some cheap yarn first but I've frogged Malabrigo before without difficulties.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home