Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Intro & My first Finished Scarf.


I just got Scarf Style for Christmas this past December, and I fell in love with bunches of patterns. I was drawn to Vintage Velvet for some reason, but I just couldn't quite justify the yarn.

Then I stopped in my LYS and they had a basket of it up front. The folks who say that touching it sells it are right - I ended up buying it right then and there.

This was a fast knit. I'd sworn I wasnt' going to do cables again after I finished a 6-foot DNA helix scarf for my husband for Christmas, but it was fun. I was terrified to felt it, so I knitted my leftover yarn into a small square and did that first, to prove to myself it would work. It did, and the scarf worked beautifully too.

I've also done a Shippo Tail scarf, and I'm working on Ene right now. A tip for the marker-moving problem, by the way. I use soft rubber stitch markers, and you can pull the passed-over stitches right over the markers without them getting knitted into the material. I was able to use those for all the repeats in the border to keep them straight, and they were a lifesaver. I'm just about done with my first repeat of Chart 3.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger miss ewe said…

    Sara, this is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love love love the color!
    Kate

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    That's really beautiful. I've always been attracted to that pattern and I think I may just have to take the plunge. Like Kate, I love the colour too.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Sara, I love your scarf. How long did it end up being? I've been wanting to make one but haven't decided if I need the 5 called for or would prefer it with 6.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger BroccoliEater said…

    I think I might have preferred it with 6 skeins. Each skein knit up to around a foot, more or less, so the whole thing is a bit more than 5ft long. As it dried I stretched it out.

    It's long enough to go twice around my neck in the more old-fashioned way; it's a bit bulky to do the currently trendy "fold it in half and pull it through the loop" thing that so many of the scarves in the book are modelled as, and it's a bit short. One of the pics in my photostream shows it being worn like that:
    http://www.deathstar.org/~svanlooy/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=11
    It's about waist-length.

    I'm a lazy knitter, and with something like a scarf I don't usually bother with a detailed gauge check. My scarf ended up a bit shorter and thicker than the one the woman at the LYS was wearing the other day; I think I knitted mine tighter than hers. I was worrying about the chenille worming and kept pulling quite tight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home