Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, January 28, 2005

Problem with Vintage Velvet :(


The problem, I have this amazing yarn that I purchased on ebay. I only have three skeins, so a scarf really is my only option at this point to what to do with it. And with as cold as it has been in Ohio, the warmth of a wool scarf is really attractive.

So, I started Vintage Velvet from the scarf book. I had to highly reduce the width since there is no way I have enough yarn. There is only 75 yards on a
skein.

The problem is I don't think after knitting skein one, that it really works I am afraid to say. I love the pattern and I love the yarn, but I think it istime to frog again. What do you think?



Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger CynCyn said…

    See? I knew I would be learning lots on this KAL. Lots of texture = lighter and single colored yarn. Got it.
    I noticed it was difficult to see the leaves on my backyard leaves scarf b/c I chose such a dark olive green. Oh well.

    As for the vintage velvet issues...I think that it's been a double whammy. Not enough yarn, not quite the results you had expected. Better to rip it now, and start over with new yarn, than to get to the end, and NEVER wear it.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger knitbysue said…

    Kitty, I agree with the others: the yarn doesn't do the pattern justice and vice versa. If you have your heart set on a scarf with that yarn how about trying a simple stockinette stitch scarf but to prevent the edges from curling try the slip stitch edging that the Backyard Leaves pattern uses: 5 stitches from each end of the chart. Just a suggestion. good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Sue

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger Kitty Kitty said…

    Thanks so much for all your helpful comments and confirmation that it didn't work. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. The report is I frogged it and put it back in my stash pile for a latter attempt. I am thinking about just using some blue sky alpaca organic cotton for the vintage velvet scarf. Nice and neutral yarn. Hopefully it will work out better. Thanks again

     

Post a Comment

<< Home