Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, June 22, 2007

Fast FO's

Hey, Knitterati!

When I read the many blogs extolling how easy and quick the Shetland Triangle was, I didn't believe it - but here's mine, 7 days start-to-finish knitting, including 2 additional repeats! It's a crappy pic, but the specs are more important anyway:

RYC Cashcotton 4-ply/197 yds, just under 2 skeins; size 6 circulars; again, a 7 day knit; cold water immersion blocked with wires and pinning, an extra two full days. I bought a sweater/lace blocking wire set by Fiber Fantasy (ech, I ended up pinning it for two days, so there ya go - maybe I need more practice). This will definitely be a go-to pattern for holiday gift giving - in fact, this was a gift and the recipient absolutely loved it! The yarn is wonderful to knit with - it's mostly cotton so it doesn't like to be stretched a lot but it holds blocking well, and the added angora and cashmere give it a nice touch and subtle sheen.

The second FO I completed almost a year ago, but this is a great pattern that's never been posted here and I encourage all of you who have Wrap Style to check out the Shoulder cozy:

I've actually made 2 of these; the first one was a gift to someone who didn't bother to send a thank you (we know the type, don't we?) after I agonized for months over the yarn, color, and button - I'll admit that the knit itself only took 12 days including blocking. It's a beautiful mini-cape and I was irked by the non-response to say the least, so I made one for myself (that'll teach her!) in 9 days. The specs: Knitpicks Sierra/110 yds, a little less than 4 skeins; size 11 circulars; an 8-day knit and 1 day blocking; big ol' thrift store button, about fiddy cents. This is so stylish and quick, and it really does keep the shoulders cozy. It truly makes a great gift - especially the one you give yourself!








Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Rosa said…

    That shoulder cozy looks so stylish, not too long, not too shruggy short. How has the yarn worn?

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    That shoulder cozy is very pretty! I like that.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Angelikas quilts and knits said…

    looks really good !

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Terri Lynn said…

    Your shetland is a WOW! I love it!

    The shoulder cozy looks so good on you, I love it, too!

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger ofthesun1 said…

    Thanks for the kind comments - both items are fun and quick. I really love the Shoulder Cozy - perfect for warding off the office a/c chill factor, and it pretty much goes with every top The Gap makes :)

    And you're right Rosa, the length is just perfect, and the yarn wears well. Sometimes Knitpicks yarn can be lackluster, but the alpaca content in the Sierra line is very good.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    I am so happy that you posted the Shoulder Cozy. Just recently I debated knitting it but chose the Shetland Triangle instead. Isn't it a blast knitting lace. I must admit that I cast on for Ene 4 times and almost gave up completely on lace but decided to try Shetland Triangle. Yours is just lovely! I can't believe that you gifted your first Shoulder Cozy without receiving a thank you. One day she will understand! Your work is great and I can't wait to finish this project to try the wrap next.

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey! I made a Shoulder Cozy from Knit Picks Sierra too! I just adore it - what a great fit of yarn and design. I used the camel-y tan color, and everyone comments on how it looks just like real basketweave in the stitch-pattern. Hope you're enjoying yours as much as I do mine!

    ~ hb33 ~

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Patricia said…

    Thank you for posting your picture with the instructions! I'm a fan of knitting and know how personal each project is. The person who didn't thank you for it was very foolish. For every one person that doesn't appreciate a gift from the heart, there are many others that will! God bless you and keep up your great work!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home