Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Calling all Lady Eleanors!

I'm nearing the end of my beautiful Lady E (size 10's Noro Silk Garden #86, just started the 10th ball, 54 inches long) and was wondering how you all decided on the length – did you go by the pattern instructions and stop after the 36th row, or did you knit closer to 70 inches, the blocking length? Like many of you, I used a different needle size; by using the 10's I got a smaller gauge that what the pattern specifies, but I like the look. When I finished the last row of the pattern as written, the stole was only 42 inches long so I kept going.

One more question – if you blocked, how did you do it?

Thanks, everyone :)

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Jen H said…

    I was curious about this myself. I'm using silk garden but sz 7's. I tend to like a denser fabric though,

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I just soaked mine in cold water and blocked it out on my floor. In general I don't like blocking on the floor, but this project is so big that you can't help but do it that way!

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post is so timely, as I just started mine. I'm using size 8 needles, and I also like a denser fabric. I'm planning on either spritzing heavily, or lightly soaking in cold water, and then blocking on a towel covered floor.

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    I bought my yarn in an ebay auction, so unless the length is horribly short, I'm planning on just going until I run out. When I get low I will cut the yarn for the fringe so I will have enough for that. Very scientific, no?

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    I haven't posted on this blog, but I did complete a Lady Eleanor last year. I knit it specifically as it was written but I didn't put any fringe on it. I should have, but I ran out of yarn. I soaked mine in cold water,rolled it up in dry towels to get the excess water out, layed a white sheet out on the finished basement floor, and pinned it out. It turned out great.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Lora said…

    Thanks for asking the questions! And thanks to all that answered. I just casted on Lady Eleanor yesterday and finished the first skein tonight...getting ready to start the second skein. This is going to be fun!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I followed the directions knitting-wise and then soaked mine a bit, rolled it in a towel and stretched it out diagonal on my bed (on more towels) to dry. It grew quite a bit during blocking even without being pinned out fully. I used 10 skeins of yarn (all needed - there wouldn't have been enough for the fringe and I didn't knit any extra repeats) and bought another for fringe, which I still haven't attached almost a year later! Oh, I used size 8 needles.

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger ofthesun1 said…

    Thanks all, for your sage advice. I'm at 53" now, starting a purl side row; I'll do three more rows then the bind off row, which should get me to around 60". Pursuant to your collective great idea, I'll soak it in cold water (Lavender Linen Water, how Elizabethan!) to relax the stitches and lay it out on towels to dry; I may also give it a 2 minute spin on the gentle cycle first. No stretching or pulling though - I want to keep it's rustic drama and romance, as Kathleen Johnson says. A friend of mine did a more aggressive block by steam pressing (and pressing, and pressing again); it was wonderfully soft, but... I dunno, it kinda lost its edge or something.

    To Lady Eleanor! We should calendar a special day to wear them - and on that day, we'll toast with newly purchased yarn...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home