Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Lady Eleanor: To Crochet or Not to Crochet?

The body of my Lady Eleanor is complete!



There she is all folded up. I'm looking for some advice, though. The pattern calls for a row of single crochet on either short end to which to attach the fringe. I am concerned that this will limit the elasticity of the wrap. In other words, the body of the wrap is very stretchy (a quality I like), and the crocheted edge is totally inelastic. Do you think it would be a bad thing to leave off the crocheted edge before attaching the fringe? Will it even make a difference, because the fringe itself won't be elastic either? I don't feel like I'm explaining this well, but I thought I'd see whether anyone here had any thoughts, especially if you've already finished or seen a finished Lady Eleanor. Thanks!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said…

    I say bag the crochet, fringe it and wear it!!!! It is beautiful, and this is my knitting olympics project!!!! What size needles did you use?

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger jess said…

    size 8s, but i've seen others using larger ones. good luck with knitting olympics! you can do it - craftoholic did hers in 10 days (1 ball / day).

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Marji said…

    I'm getting ready to make one during the Olympics, and have a smaller scarf on the needles now just to learn entrelac. Anyway, I'm thinking that the crochet edge is there to help support the weight of the fringe. THat knotted fringe could get heavy, and to depend on individual knit stitches to take the weight may be too much. I'm thinking the crocheted edge will provide some distribution of load.

     
  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger verlit said…

    Well, I overlooked the crocheting bit in the instructions and attached fringe directly to knitting. There seem to be no problem with it at all :-)

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger jess said…

    so verlit, you didn't notice the sagging marji is talking about?

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger J said…

    The thing I'm worried about is the cast on edge. I've never used that method before. When I read about the crochet, I thought perhaps it's meant to support or protect the edge. I haven't read about anyone having trouble with the edge but I still worry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home