Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, August 26, 2005

Vintage Velvet

I have a new project from Scarf Style. My friend wants a scarf for her birthday so I picked this one. I'm using Knit Picks Palette (100% Peruvian wool) in Petal, double-stranded for the scarf. I'm not sure if I'm going to put it through the wash to felt it a little bit - I'll see when I'm done because I didn't use the yarn called for in the pattern. Here is what it looks like so far - I've only done the first 16 rows.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I don't really think the yarn is that bright in person, although it was brighter than I anticipated from the website when I ordered it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger KarenK said…

    You don't need to felt the scarf if you're using a different yarn than the pattern calls for! The pattern calls for Muench's "Touch Me," a microfiber-wool blend, which behaves entirely differently when it's felted than ordinary wool. It develops a subtle shading, for one thing, that gives it that vintage look - which is why the scarf is called "Vintage Velvet"! I've made this scarf using Debbie Bliss's alpaca-silk blend, which was very soft, and it certainly did not need felting. And I'm working on my second scarf, this time using "Touch Me," and I will felt it this time.

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Knitcrazy said…

    LOVE your scarf and the color is fabulous!!!
    Thanks for saying that you are not felting it.. I wanted to do that scarf but did not want a felted one..
    Duhhhhhhh.. How come I did not think of using regular yarn??? :)
    Great job!!

    http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Knitcrazy,
    The scarf didn't appeal to me in the yarn and color shown in the book, but I was looking for a scarf to make a friend that was simple (one color) and had a little bit of a design. I've never done cables before so this is a nice project to start on. It's coming along, but I haven't had a chance to post an update.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home