Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, August 26, 2005

Vintage Velvet

I have a new project from Scarf Style. My friend wants a scarf for her birthday so I picked this one. I'm using Knit Picks Palette (100% Peruvian wool) in Petal, double-stranded for the scarf. I'm not sure if I'm going to put it through the wash to felt it a little bit - I'll see when I'm done because I didn't use the yarn called for in the pattern. Here is what it looks like so far - I've only done the first 16 rows.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I don't really think the yarn is that bright in person, although it was brighter than I anticipated from the website when I ordered it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger KarenK said…

    You don't need to felt the scarf if you're using a different yarn than the pattern calls for! The pattern calls for Muench's "Touch Me," a microfiber-wool blend, which behaves entirely differently when it's felted than ordinary wool. It develops a subtle shading, for one thing, that gives it that vintage look - which is why the scarf is called "Vintage Velvet"! I've made this scarf using Debbie Bliss's alpaca-silk blend, which was very soft, and it certainly did not need felting. And I'm working on my second scarf, this time using "Touch Me," and I will felt it this time.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger RoseM said…

    2nd Karenk's comment/warning. Felting is suggested only for the Touch Me yarn. You'll get the 'felted bag' look if you felt the scarf done in wool. Don't do it. Or if you still think you would -- knit up a swatch (with the cable, cause I think the felting would absolutely wreck it) and felt that.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger RoseM said…

    I am so frustrated -- frogged the whole scarf (had done about 5"). Before that, I had ripped out some rows. I keep mistaking which row I'm on . . .

    Seriously contemplating doing another scarf for my sis for Christmas. Or maybe trying using 'lifelines'?

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Knitcrazy said…

    LOVE your scarf and the color is fabulous!!!
    Thanks for saying that you are not felting it.. I wanted to do that scarf but did not want a felted one..
    Duhhhhhhh.. How come I did not think of using regular yarn??? :)
    Great job!!

    http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Beck said…

    Hey Knitcrazy,
    The scarf didn't appeal to me in the yarn and color shown in the book, but I was looking for a scarf to make a friend that was simple (one color) and had a little bit of a design. I've never done cables before so this is a nice project to start on. It's coming along, but I haven't had a chance to post an update.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger whatever said…

    I have to agree with you Beck, I wasn't wanting to felt the scarf, doesn't really do much for me as the 'velvet' look bc I'm not a big fan of velvet. LOL, could have long ago given the not felting a thought!! Now I have yet ANOTHER Scarf Style project to add to my growing SS list!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home