Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, November 07, 2005

Shadow Dance cast-on edge details!

I took photos of the unusual cast-on edge for the brioche capelet (Shadow Dance). The pattern instructs you to do a provisional crochet cast-on (I did mine with orange waste yarn). Then, once you've knitted a bit, you simply unravel your waste yarn. I was afraid the whole thing would unravel, but, miracle of miracles!, it did not. Here's a photo tutorial :


I'm using Knit Picks' Andean Silk. I purchased 6 balls in Cream, and dyed them. This was quite an ordeal... I started using Kool-Aid, and got very bright, fluorescent colors. So I moved on to Procion dyes (thanks Marie! ), and got a nice deep red and a light brown.

I also would like to note that the instructions for the brioche stitch are much more detailed here compared to IK Spring '05. (Specifically on how to work the purl rows).

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger grumperina said…

    Wow, that's fascinating! I didn't know that project called for a special cast-on. Your dyed yarn looks fabulous!

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Veronique said…

    Thanks to both of you! Yes, the increases took me a while to master as well. I eventually realized it looked better if I twisted the loop before knitting/purling it. Obvious, when you realize that's what you do for a make 1 increase... This project goes really quickly too.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Veronique -

    Thanks so much for posting your progress! I've got Shadow Dance in Andean Silk too sitting in my "to-start" pile - I'm going to use two greens. Yours got me motivated to cast on!

    ~ honeybee33 ~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home