Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Ene's Scarf frustration

Some of you may remember I had to frog Ene's Scarf after completing the first chart. I decided to cast on for it again this weekend because I finished the sweater I was working on.

I just am not meant to knit this scarf/shawl! I had the right number of stitches cast on (which gave me problems the first time I attempted this). I got to the end of the first row, carefully placing markers at each repeat of the pattern and counting my stitches and I was one stitche short! I re counted my stitches and found a mistake even before the first repeat! WHat a dolt!

I frogged it because I just could not tink back through all those stitches. Maybe over THanksgiving break I will try again when I have some time to myself and no one talking to me as I am trying to count. If I can get through the cast on and the first row and get my markers placed correctly, I think I will be able to actually knit this

4 Comments:

  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    You can do it. I had to rip out my first row also. Once you get past the first few rows it's easy going.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Kim, usually when you're one stitch short, you missed a yarn over. You don't have to frog or tink to fix this. Put a safety pin or stitch marker on the bar between the stitches where the yo should be, and when you get back to it, lift that bar onto the needle and you've created the yo. I often don't find a missed yo until I'm on the next right-side row, in which case you have to reach down to the second bar between stitches, pull the bar above it through like a knit stitch, and you've created your yarnover plus the stitch you'd have made purling back.
    Hope this helps!

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Alison said…

    Good luck on Ene, but if you're still having trouble, what yarn are you using? Sometimes a particular yarn just doesn't want to be a particular pattern. I know it sounds silly, but I tried several times to do Madli's Shawl (another Nancy Bush pattern) in a silk yarn and frogged several times because of silly mistakes. I'm now using a different yarn and now I'm moving along with it. Ene is a lovely shawl and I hope you'll try again!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

    I was horribly off on the first row, not just one stitch. When I went back and counted the stitches it was all messed up, so to the frog pond it went.

    I finished the cast on again and I actually go through the first row tonight! I used stitch markers after each repeat and recounted the stitches before moving onto the next repeat...that seems to have worked.

    ANd I am using Jaeger Matchmaker in a dark red....It tells me that it really really wants to become Ene's ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home