Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Campus Scarf Simplified


After trying several patterns, I finally settled on the Campus Scarf by Fiona Ellis as my choice for the Red Scarf Project. With such a fitting name, I should have gone for it immediately.

Let me say now, I love this pattern. Once you have the first pattern row set up and know from the first pattern repeat how many rows to knit before switching colours or reversing the knit/purl stitches, you never have to look at the pattern again. Seriously. I wanted to use just two colours, instead of the six the pattern calls for. I carried the contrast yarn up the back edge of the scarf and had no extra ends to darn in. I think the texture is interesting enough to make the simplified scarf equally beautiful. It turns out to be a cross between ribbing and basketweave, and hangs beautifully. I will definitely knit this pattern again, maybe changing up the colours a bit more next time.

This is my second completed scarf from the book. I made Ene in a camel coloured alpaca as my first choice. I am currently two-thirds done my third scarf: a Misty Garden, using Noro Silk Garden. I'm sure that won't be the last. Like so many of you, I love almost every pattern in the book. Drop by my blog if you want to see some of my other projects.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home