Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Vintage Velvet post-felting & advice for those in doubt

As promised I got some pictures taken of my Vintage Velvet scarf post-felting. It's hard to get a decent picture of it, but the two of me wearing it came out almost perfect. :)




And because I believe in helping others out whenever possible, if anyone is reading this and contemplating making either this scarf or another piece in Touch Me and is afraid to throw that plush, sinfully soft yarn in the washer and dryer, fear not!

Your gorgeous scarf (or shawl, blanket, top, what have you) will look bad when it comes out of the washing machine. Really bad. Brace yourself. Your piece will be matted and rough and bear more than a passing resemblance to roadkill (sad but true).

It won't look like the gorgeous piece you put in the washer and it won't look much better once it comes out of the dryer (let it dry until it's damp and then air dry it, stretching it gently every now and then), but have faith. It'll most likely take a few days and a couple of trips through the dryer on low heat for 10 minutes or so at a time over the course of those few days to get it dried completely, but once it's had a chance to dry completely and relax after its long journey through the felting and drying process it will be gorgeous.

As it dries, it loses that roughness and dullness and regains its softess and shine, but the stitches will be shrunk down so that it looks like well cared for vintage velvet (the name of the pattern is dead on accurate) rather than the beautiful, but clearly knitted piece that went in.

What I'm trying to say is: Have faith. Felting this gorgeous (and rather expensive) yarn isn't necessarily an easy step to take, considering the beauty of the piece pre-felting and the price of the yarn should it turn out badly, but believe me, it's worth it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    That's a gorgeous scarf!!! I think I'm going to have to make one.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    Thanks! :)

    It was a blast to knit, too. Easy and relaxing but not boring.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Carol said…

    Lovely!!! Thanks for posting so many pictures.

    How do you think it would come out in a different pattern, say, the DNA pattern? I'd swatch, but... well you know!

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    You're welcome! :)

    I'm not sure how well it would hold up for a more delicate cabled pattern like the DNA scarf since the cable in this pattern is wide and can handle the felting process, but it may work out beautifully. I'd say swatch it and throw it in the washer (if you're going to felt it) and dryer and see how the pattern holds up. :)

    I'm planning on making a hat with Touch Me that has smaller cables but it'll be a while before I can give a report on how well it works (the yarn's going to be a birthday present and my birthday's not until the beginning of October). :(

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger pixie said…

    Thanks for posting the photos and commentary! I will brave the felting process.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Jocelyn said…

    It is really beautiful. I spent a fortune making a VV in Touch Me, only to have it come apart after I felted it. The outside of the yarn sort of came off, exposing the black inside. Somehow I ended up with live stitches on the edge, which was a big mess. I ended up taking it all back to my LYS, which graciously gave me a $90 credit. If I get up the nerve to do it again, I would love to know if you washed it in a pillowcase or just with other stuff?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home