Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Vintage Velvet is on the needles and I'm in love!

I started my Vintage Velvet scarf yesterday and I'm absolutely hopelessly in love with the yarn (Touch Me, the yarn the pattern calls for). It's so, so soft and plush and silky and it knits up beautifully (and quickly!).

So far I'm three full repeats and 1/3 of the 4th into the pattern (and finishing up my first ball of yarn) and it looks wonderful. I think it's going to look even better once it's felted. I had some issues with dropping stitches in the middle panel initially since the yarn is a bit slippery and had to restart the damn thing three times before I got the feel of the yarn and I had to get a couple of cable turns in before it looked right, but it's gorgeous now.

I figure I'll be able to finish it in about 4 days or so, if I go at this rate. Just in time for fall, hurrah!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Dicentra said…

    You're right about it getting even better after felting and thorough drying. Vintage Velvet is my favorite FO knit, ever.

    I have to caution admirers about drooling on it. ;D

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    I can't wait to finish it, I think it's easily going to by my favorite scarf ever. I had to pry it out of my MIL's fingers yesterday when I went over to her house to show it to her. :)

    Any recommendations on what sort of detergent to use when I felt it? I was thinking Woolite might be a good choice since it's meant to be gentle and I don't want anything too harsh on it, but I'm open to suggestions.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger pixie said…

    You're getting me soooo excited. I just bought the yarn on a trip Saturday and I can't wait to get started! Did you use wood or metal needles? Any recommendations before I start?

    Dicentra: I have a front-loader—should use a top-loader to felt this?

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Dicentra said…

    I used Woolite because we have a large bottle on the shelf. :)

    pixie, I've only ever felted one item, intentionally, not counting shrinking the stray sweater from time to time. I used our top-loader with good results, following the directions at the end of the pattern. Use hot water, etc., and give the front loader a go. I suspect the action is gentler, so perhaps you'll need to wash, rinse and repeat. The difference in the finished piece is amazing and wonderful.

    I used straight rosewood needles because they were empty and the right size. A metal cable needle is essential with that wide cable panel to twist.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    Definitely use metal. I have a feeling it would stick to wood needles enough to get on your nerves, but it slides beautifully on aluminum. :)

    I posted pictures of the final product further up the KAL if you want to see how mine turned out. I ended up using Woolite.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    Oh, and on the subject of front-loaders: I used a front-loader to felt mine and it turned out fine.

    Granted I've never felted anything before, so I'm not sure if it would have turned out *better* in a top loader, but I'd say it looks identical to the image in the book, so it must be right. :)

    I set our washer (it's a Neptune) on Hot/Cold (since there's no Hot/Hot option), put in about 3/4 of a cap of Woolite, tossed the scarf in with an old bedsheet and ran it through an entire regular cycle then tossed it in the dryer until it was damp dry (ours has a sensor that made my work quite a bit easier).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home