Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, August 11, 2006

Vintage Velvet is done!

(Picture is pre-felting - a picture post-felting is at the bottom of the post)

Finished up my Vintage Velvet scarf a couple of days ago and after setting and waiting for it to dry (to no avail, I might add, it's too humid here, apparently), I finally threw it in the drier on low heat for ten minutes and it's finally presentable. :)


I was really worried by how it looked and felt when I pulled it out of the washer (matted and rough, not soft and silky like before), but now that it's finally dry I'm pretty happy with it. If I do it again, I won't wash it for so long to shrink it a teeny bit less, but that's just so that it'll be wider and a bit longer (I could make it longer by stretching it, but then I lose width).


I'll get better pictures of it after drying later and put them up (I'll have to host them somewhere other than my Flickr account due to a glitch that ate up all my bandwidth - damn them - but they'll be up somewhere) but for now I don't have access to my camera and just have a picture of the cables after felting.



(Post-felting - a picture of the scarf pre-felting is at the top of the post)

I'm seriously considering altering a cabled hat pattern I have to make a matching Vintage Velvet hat, although I'll have to do a lot of math to make sure that it's going to fit correctly after felting (and adjust the needle size and whatnot accordingly). If I do it and it turns out well, I'm going to be a very happy camper and if it doesn't I'm going to be a bit miffed, what with the yarn being $15 a skein and my needing probably 3 or 4 skeins to make a hat and all. I do have a birthday coming up, though, so maybe someone will get me the yarn as a present, then I won't feel quite as bad if it doesn't turn out perfectly.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger pixie said…

    hey, Your vintage looks great! Def. would like to see pics as soon as you can post. I would also covet the hat pattern if you can work it, Ninja. Awesome job!

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I know how you feel - I love touch me too! It's by far one of the softest yarns I've ever felt. You ought to check out the knitty Velvet Oblivion pattern for any left-overs (or a fun splurge) - I make em as gifts (I get 3 per ball, which makes the 15$ price tag more reasonable).

    http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer04/PATTvelvetoblivion.html

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger The Ninja Knitter said…

    Thanks for the link, nicole! :)

    And, pixie, I'll definitely let you know if the pattern changes work out on the hat (assuming I do it, of course, it depends on if I can get more yarn, of course).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home