Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Backyard Leaves and More



I finished Backyard Leaves in the first part of April. I used exactly 4 balls of Karabella Aurora 8 in the lavender color. It was so fun, I'm thinking I'll be making another one in the fall. I loved knitting with Karabella Aurora, and it is very soft on my neck. I did stumble on the very first row, though, until I read some of the other blogs. Not being real familiar with lace patterns, it didn't occur to me to start Row 1 as a wrong side row. I don't know if that's common or not, but I've made a note of it.

Previous to joining this KAL, I'd completed Vintage Velvet. I used 5 skeins of Muench Yarns Touch Me in a peacock bluey/green color. It is sooo beautiful, I didn't want to felt it, but maybe next fall. I'd like to see someone's else's in this color that has felted it, but I may have to do a swatch with the leftover yarn and test it myself.
I'd also completed Misty Garden last fall using Queensland Collection Soft Comfort Mohair, but I've since given it away as a gift and didn't get a picture of it. For as simple a scarf as it was, my mind seemed to wander and I had to frog every once in a while. As you probably know, frogging that freakin' mohair ain't no easy thang. I don't think I'd ever choose to knit with that particular yarn again. I also found it a bit itchy against my neck for a scarf.
I just love Scarf Style and this is my first KAL. I've recently begun a knitting blog at http://tukats.typepad.com, so drop in and say hi. I'm looking at Blizzard or Here and There Cables as the next scarf, but that will be probably next October. My husband is wondering how many scarves a girl needs in Southern California, and I keep asking him how many golf clubs does he need:)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Knitcrazy said…

    Beautiful Scarves Leslie..
    I LOVE the Touch Me one...
    No I would NOT felt that one.. It looks sooooooooooo SOFT :)
    Penny

    http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    Ooh, beautiful scarves... They really are gorgeous and you have done a wonderful job, because the design is so prominent!

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger verlit said…

    I felt exactly the same about my Muench scarf. Than I decide to felt it after all and OH, MY! It feels like heaven.
    Before felting it was just really nice, fantasticly soft scarf. After felting it is softest and most beautiful thing I have ever seen :-)
    You should try it, honest!

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger hollyboc said…

    Amen to the golf club thing... I'm constantly tripping over them. Great scarves. Good Job!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Two-Socks said…

    Excellent work! And your comment about the golf clubs made me laugh. So true! Loved the little zinger you told him in response.

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger larissa said…

    They look great! I'm thinking about starting the Backyard Leaves this week, but have never knit from a chart before. I'm glad you mentioned starting Row 1 as WS row, I had no idea!

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger mrpibbs said…

    The Backyard Leaves looks so nice in that color! I always see it in green (and I have my GREEN yarn already purchased when I do this scarf soon, lol).

    And I've been wondering where to get the Touch Me yarn, as this is another scarf on my "list"...I'd be afraid to felt as well, but I keep hearing how wonderfully soft it turns out! Yours looks great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home