Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Monday, February 20, 2006

Backyard Leaves Confusion..

Thanks for the comments to my previous question (I had read the archives but still wasn't sure about reading the set-up row L-R or R-L.) I am now really confused! I have ripped this out and started again three times, but keep having the same problem. By my count, at the end of row 16 I should have 38 stitches on the needles, and then on row 17 decrease to 31 stitches. But, every time I do this, the same thing happens. I start row 17 - deal with those 1st 5 stitches, do the slip 2, knit one, pass 2 over (which decreases 2, right?), do the slip 3- knit (decreases 2 agai?), and then I should have 5 knit stitches, one slip, and then 2 more knit stitches before the marker (in other words, when starting the row, I have 16 stitches on the right, marker, 22 stitches on the left). But I keep running out of stitches - I do the first five, the slip2-k1-psso-, the sssk, and now I have 7 stitches on the right needle, and only 5 stitches left before the marker, where I should have 8. Then, on the other side of the marker, I think I should have 22 (k5, ssk, k3, s1, k3,k3tog, and then the last 5) - which I do, so that seems to work. It's only on the right side that seems wrong. I'm totally confused. Every single time I do this, everything works for the first 16 rows and the stitch count seems to be right. But then I get to this row, and I'm suddenly missing a bunch of stitches. Can anyone please help? Perhaps I'm doing those first two (after the initial 5) wrong? I am so tired of frogging this and starting again!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I don't have my chart handy, but I remember having a similar problem with this pattern at one point, and I was actually reading the pattern wrong. There are two symbols that look very similar, and I think one is an increase and the other a decrease, and if you have them mixed up that might explain it. Just a thought, I did it the first two times I swatched until I squinted at the pattern and figured it out! Good luck with your scarf - mine is currently lanquishing as I work on other things - it was meant for my mother this past Christmas, but now it will be for next year :)

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    Those grey "no stitch" boxes do not count as stitches; they indicate places where stitches have been removed by decreasing and are inserted in the chart to keep the rest of the pattern lined up. Just skip right over them as if they weren't there.

    Row 17 is worked as follows:

    K1, sl 1 wyif, k1, p2,

    sl 2 sts as if to k2tog, p1, pass 2 slipped sts over, sssk,

    k2, sl 1 wyib, k2, slip marker,

    k5, ssk, k3, sl 1 wyib, k3, k3tog, p2, k1, sl 1 wyif, k1.


    Row 17 requires 38 sts and results in 31 sts.

    Before working Row 17, with the RS facing you there will be 16 sts before the marker and 22 sts after the marker.

    After completing Row 17, with the RS facing you there will be 12 sts before the marker because the "no stitch" squares don't count, and 19 sts after the marker.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger mcms_cricket said…

    OH FOR GOODNESS' SAKE!! I looked at your post, Lori, and said "huh? what grey squaress..." and realized the problem. I photocopied the pattern so I wouldn't have to cart the book around, and on my photocopy, those squares aren't grey!! I just pulled out the book (because, to be honest, I thought you were nuts..) and sure enough there are 3 grey squares that I'd been knitting. So there are my missing stitches. Thanks SO much. I am going to take a pen and black out those squares, and then check the rest of the chart as well.
    Whew. Nice to know I had it right all along and that it was a "technical" error rather than my error! Thanks.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Hilary said…

    I am totally in awe of anyone that can knit! Hilary

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Hilary: It's not as hard as it looks! Go find yourself a stitch and bitch at a local coffee shop or some such, you'll probably have plenty of people willing to show you the basics. Plus yarn shops often have beginner lessons.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home