Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Lots of Scarf News

You'll have to excuse me for posting about 3 scarves all at once. I was waiting for a brighter day to take the photos and by the time I got one, I had 3 scarves to post about. I still really want to get started on a project from Wrap Style, but right now the yarn I have in my stash lends itself to Scarf Style projects. And to think, Wrap Style is the book I own and I keep having to renew Scarf Style from the library!

First, I finished Ruffles. This scarf was a great knit for me as a relatively new knitter. The pattern was easy to memorize and I learned how to do short rows. I will admit I was pretty bored with it about halfway through. The yarn is Cascade 220 and I knit on size 8 needles.

Then I started Misty Garden. The night I cast on, I tried to use size 6 needles and I just couldn't keep the yarn loose enough to do the K2TOG's. After struggling for 5 rows I frogged it. The next night I cast on using size 8 needles and exaggerated my stitches even more. Success was achieved and the scarf is half done. Again, the pattern was easy to memorize, but the challenge was in keeping track of which row I was on. I know it shouldn't have been difficult, but at one point I got turned around and reversed the scarf. I had to frog 12 rows that time. The yarn is Jaeger Mohair Art in inkwell, a dark purple.

Finally, I started Vintage Velvet. The first two inches I was very concerned that I was doing something wrong (never having knit a cable before), but now I've finished two pattern repeats and it's looking good. This yarn sure is a pleasure to knit with. My only concern is that everyone who touches it will want one and the yarn is way too expensive for me to use very often. I'm using emerald green Touch Me on size 8 needles.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home