Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, October 14, 2005

Introduction

Hello All. I have posted a couple of times without introducing myself, but finally have the time to do so today. My name is Suzanna Wilson. I live in South San Francisco, California, with my husband, and three-month-old daughter Calista. Don't ask me how I have time to knit with a new baby. Somehow I've just figured out a way, whether it's while she's sleeping, or whether it's in the car when we're out driving around (I'm a passenger, of course.) I just started knitting a couple of months before she was born, as something to do to pass the last few weeks of pregnancy away without having to focus on how uncomfortable I was. I used to crochet a lot but got bored. I had always wanted to knit, so I just bought myself the Debbie Bliss book "How to Knit" and figured it out using that book, and finding little movies on the Internet showing live steps to get through stitches I couldn't understand. I started with knitting her Aran Throw project from that book. I went into labor about three repeats in, (out of 19 total) almost the minute I realized that I'd totally skipped over the first line in the pattern which was to "Knit 13 rows." As I was trying to figure out how to fix that mistake, my water broke. Needless to say I didn't pick it back up for a while. Then I started it again when my husband and daughter and took a road trip to visit my parents in Portland.
There is a wonderful shop called "Knit Purl" in downtown Portland near my parents' place where there was a finished version of Ruffles sitting there, right on top of the Scarf Style book. The shop proprietor told me they couldn't keep copies of the book on the shelf, so I bought one of the two copies they had. I opened the book and decided I had to start knitting scarves instead. Big Throws just take too long and I wanted a completed project.
So from that book I decided to start Ruffles (about 1/2 way finished) and just finished Backyard Leaves.
I never imagined I would be this addicted to the hobby.
Believe it or not I have started any baby projects... yet. Sometimes when my daughter is in her swing, she will stare at my hands while I knit.
I am so impressed with the WIPs and finished projects that everyone shows here. It is really an inspiration to keep challenging myself. (And of course spending money on supplies...)
When I finish Ruffles, I will post a picture, and maybe use my daughter as the model. :)

As for being a mother, it is the best thing ever to happen to me in my life. I will be turning 40 in December. I never thought I would do it, but now that I have, I wonder why I waited so long, and would do it again tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful posts!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Dorrie said…

    Hi Suzanna!!
    Congratulations!
    WOW! you have done Back Yard Leaves?! And only been knitting for a couple of months! That's impressive! I've only been knitting for ten months and would really like to try making that scarf, but it looks VERY intimidating to me. Would love to see some pics!

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger Jeanie said…

    Hi Suzanna! Thanks for sharing how you got into knitting. Sounds like you learned a lot like I did -- pretty much self taught! That's great! Welcome to the addiction (I mean hobby) of knitting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home