Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, September 02, 2005

New Ruffles-er

Hi all!

I started doing ruffles the other day in manos del uruguay my Mom had given me. But 5 inches into it and I felt like I'd already used a ton and doubted I'd have more than a 30" scarf, so I frogged it. Now I've restarted it in some bamboo that I picked up (it feels fabulous, if anyone hasn't knit with bamboo, I'd seriously suggest it.) but I just feel like now it's too flimsy. I'm considering frogging that too and just giving up and doing it in acrylic. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'd prefer to avoid acrylic so if anyone has some other yarn suggestions?

- Mamie

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 1:45 AM, Blogger KarenK said…

    I made the "Ruffles" scarf using Silk Garden - the color changes look really great with the spiral design. I used three skeins. There are many great pictures of other versions using different yarns if you look through the archives here in the Knit-Along.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Jeanie said…

    Hi Karen -- Bamboo is wonderful, but (I agree) may not be the best yarn for this project. I'm not sure I'd go with acrylic (may be a bit scratchy around your neck) but look for something that close to a worsted weight. I used something called Karaoke by South West Trading (which is a wool/soy silk blend) and love it! Go for something soft (maybe an alpaca or merino blend) and you'll probably love it. I've seen these scarves made out of really fluffy mohairs and they look great too. Good luck!

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger amber said…

    I made one using Noro Kureyon and one using some camel hair yarn. But I think an alpaca or merino woll would be great as well. I used slightly thicker yarns than the pattern recommended and liked the results. So don't resort to acrylic yet :)

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Nickie said…

    After attempting MANY yarns for this scarf, I settled on Sirdar Denim Sport Aran. It is a machine washable, 60% acrylic, 25% cotton, 15% wool yarn and at 259 yards for 11 bucks, well worth the money. It has been great to knit with (and I'm fussy) and I'm very happy with the results. I chose a creamy natural color so I could wear it with everything...which I do.

    Hope this helps...

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Georgie Girl said…

    Hi, I have done 7 ruffles. I love them! Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    I'm making mine with Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. It is working up beautifully.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Gwen said…

    I'm using KnitPicks Elegance, and it seems to be working out nicely. It's soooo soft, and cheap!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home