Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Friday, September 16, 2005

Interlocking Balloons question

Hi! I've just joined the blog, although I've been watching from afar for some time now...

I am making Interlocking Balloons, and I splurged and bought the Maine Merino suggested, which is beautiful... but I'm wondering what experience people have had with gauge. The patterns gives the gauge in the pattern, which makes it kind of hard to check gauge beforehand (although I guess you'd get some practice doing that...). When I started knitting, my scarf seemed much larger than the gauge suggested, even though I've gone down TWO needle sizes, which I ordinarily have to do to make gauge on anything. My scarf looks to be almost a foot wide! But then again, the width of the scarf varies over the pattern, so where exactly is it supposed to be 9 inches wide?

Any thoughts from those with experience with this pattern greatly appreciated!!

Karen
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com.ph/quillkdc/my_photos

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Tipper said…

    That's such a great pattern. It was the first I did out of the book! You can see it if you visit the September 2004 archives.

    The "in" part of the baloons pulls in quite a bit, making the scarf at least two inches narrower at that point. Also, you don't block the scarf absolutely flat; there will be some dimensionality to it.

    Personally, I never check gauge for scarves or shawls, unless, maybe, to see how the yarn looks with that size needle. Even if I get gauge, if the fabric isn't something I like, I won't enjoy it, so I'll go up or down accordingly. So my advice is to use whatever needle size gives you the kind of fabric you like. If you're way above gauge, smaller would be better, but remember that scarves are very forgiving and can be very wide and still not look awful.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    I agree with Tipper that getting a pleasing fabric is more important than absolute gauge when making scarves.

    However, if you're concerned about how wide your scarf will be I suggest transferring the stitches to a holding string and giving what you've got so far a quick blocking.

    Lay it on a towel, give it a quick spritz of water, and pat gently into shape. Once it's dry you'll have a better idea of how the final product will behave and can evaluate whether you need to change needle size to get the results you want.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Thanks, both of you. I agree about not worrying much about gauge for scarves in general, it just seemed odd to me that I was so far off given that I'm using the suggested yarn... but you've helped me to come to terms with it and just think about whether I like it or not!

    Karen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home