Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Backyard Leaves and "No Stitch"

Has anyone who has successfully worked on Backyard Leaves give me advice about the "No Stitch" squares in the chart? I know that these are to be ignored and the next stitch in the chart worked, but on row 17, that leaves me with three extra stitches at the end of the row. Have I done something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is the farthest I've gotten in the pattern and it is finally starting to look right. Row 17 would be very difficult to unravel. Thanks!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    I don't have the book with me, today, but having started the scarf i know that those squares where it says "no stitch" are because those stitches have been decreased earlier in the row...does that make sense? So, if you have extra stitches at the end of the row, you may not have done the decreases correctly. sorry I can't be more help, right now.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Suzanna said…

    Thank you for your reply. After I posted last night, I sat and thought about it for a while, realizing that with this whole pattern I've been overthinking it, and then realizing that, as I go along, the trick is just to follow the chart and do exactly what it says. The chart is just so complicated looking that I find myself intimidated and thinking too much. So I figured that I must have made a mistake and, as you guessed, messed up a decrease. so I ripped the whole thing out *again* and when I got to row 17 I discovered that my mistake was the first decrease in the line which is the slipping of the two stitches, the knit, then the slip off. I didn't slip off the first time, I slipped back to the left needle. So I've now made it past row 17 and am moving on. I believe I have frogged it for the last time!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger whatever said…

    I have this (as well as a few others from the book) scarf on my fall/winter project list...it's so lovely!! I feel exactly the same way that you do about the chart and may end up just typing out written instructions and skipping the chart all together....?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home