Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

heya!

Hello! I am Tracy, from London and am new to the blog. My plan is to knit the Lady Eleanor entrelac stole. I have never done entrelac before...so at this point I am teaching myself by swatching several yarns (to see which I might want to use)...I am considering Noro Kucheron and Debbie Bliss Maya. I am wanting long and gentle color transitions with mostly natural looking colors transitioning into a bright here and there. It seems that a lot of the Kureon colorways end up quite bright and patchy which is gorgeous but not quite the look I'm looking for. The Kucheron is a blend, the Maya is a 100% wool....boy they are both sooo pretty.

Questions for you entrelac pros:
1) do you all knit backwards?
2) did you wrap your short rows? (even backwards? LOL)
3) How long did it take you?

Here is a pic of the 'mess' on my needle last night (the mess everyone says is good!)...(it's the Maya)....

Hmm photo upload doesn't seem to be working. Check out my
blog for the photo.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger verlit said…

    Hi Tracy,
    the "mess" on your needles is really OK, that is just how the first "row" of entrelac looks like. Don´t worry and carry on, it will all start making more sense soon :-)

    As far as your questions go:

    1) I sometimes do knit backwards, sometimes not. It depends which seems easier and faster to you.

    2) No, I don´t. Which might be mistake but it looks fine :-)

    3)I made one Lady Eleanor in Noro Kureyon and it took me about 1 month of infrequent evening knitting sessions...

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    Hey! Can't wait to see & hear about your entrelac progress. Looks like you've got it started correctly. As to your questions...I personally don't knit backwards, but have thought about giving it a try. It just doesn't bother me to flip back & forth all the time. Just remember, whichever way you start knitting, do it through the entire project, otherwise your gauge will change. No, you don't wrap your stitches in entrelac. that will cause the sections to curve, which is why it's used for shaping. Entrelac is just knitting a section at a time.

    I used Noro Silk Garden for mine & I did it in 2 months or so, but i had to take a couple of breaks to finish other projects.

    Cheers

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger agileflower said…

    Thanks for your comments :) I have gotten zero knitting on this done today--we are getting ready to celebrate my son's first birthday and had to get some stuff to prepare... :) I hope that he will go to sleep early tonight so I can knit away at this trial swatch for a bit....

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger LisaB said…

    Not to worry - like Verlit said the first row is kinda wonky looking. I couldn't figure out how it was going to look until I got another row on there.

    Yes I knit backwards on this stole. This was a must for me to learn because all the turning back and forth was hard on my arms.

    Mine took a couple months, but there were many weeks when I didn't touch it. You can check it out on the sidebar of my blog:

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger LisaB said…

    Arg, darn html!

    My site is:

    http://oliphauntknits.blogspot.com

    if you are interested!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Hi Tracy -

    I did the Lady Eleanor shawl/scarf in Schaeffer Yarns' Elaine. It doesn't have a fuzzy texture, but it looks really cool. If you go to my blog, and click on my finished projects, there's a picture of my finished creation.

    I've done a lot of entrelac, I think it's fun. I tried the backward knitting thing, but just couldn't get the hang of it. I also have a lace entrelac shawl on needles that I doubt I'll ever finish. It's from Interweave Knits, maybe last summer. I pull it out every once in awhile, but . . .

    Good luck - let me know if you need any help!

    Wendy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home