Scarf Style/Wrap Style Knit-Along

The inspirations for this knit-along are the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books (from Interweave Press); should you wish to share your creations from the book, this is a wonderful place to do it. Also welcome are helpful tips, corrections, ideas for variations, and suggestions for materials. This knit-along will last indefinitely, so join any time!

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Backyard Leaves Scarf...

The leaves are starting to fall into place! So far, I've only done four repeats (six or seven more to go on this half) but we'll see how far I get... The Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran is pretty light on yardage, so I may reduce the number of repeats so that I don't run out of yarn. The scarf is knitted in two identical halves and then seamed together. This way, the leaves fall the same way on either side when you wear it. So smart!

The leaves are a lot more textured than I thought they would be... Very three dimensional. I imagine that blocking will soften this up a bit. Anybody block this scarf yet? I don't want to stretch it out until it's no longer springy...

Backyard Leaves Scarf close up

Backyard Leaves Scarf zoom out

Felicia from sweetgeorgia
http://sweetgeorgia.planetfishdesign.com

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger kris said…

    wow, felicia, that is so beautiful! in the book it looks sorta flatter so i'm guessing blocking will do that.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Looks beautiful. How are you finding the chart? Is it pretty easy to follow? I'm not experienced in chart reading, but I want to make this scarf.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Felicia from sweetgeorgia said…

    The chart was easy once I figured out how to read it! The last charted design I worked on was the Flower Basket Shawl and it's completely symmetrical and all odd rows are purled, so it didn't matter which way you read it. But this chart, I started reading left to right on the wrong side rows (including the set up row) and right to left on the right side rows... I did have to start and frog the first little bit several times before I figured out the slip stitch edges...but it's working, so I'm happy!

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Anne-Caroline said…

    So Pretty! What a great job you are doing! Make sure you show us the final product.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger annie said…

    I'm so proud of you - it looks GREAT!

    Your leaves are looking a bit dimensional - I think they're lovely as they are, but I do think they'll flatten a bit, too, as you block. The Karabella I used for the scarf has great memory but when steamed will wilt a bit until it cools and dries - thus allowing me to flatten out the leaves. I'm not as familiar with the D Bliss Cashmerino for this specific technique, but perhaps it would work the same...

    I'd suggest blocking by using steam (not placing the iron ON the fabric, but above it so the steam can get into the yarn) then pull and mold it (not too vigorously) until it relaxes into the shape you want. Also, be sure to let it lay flat until it's absolutely cool and dry!

    Keep up the great work - it's lovely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home